Summary of 2004 Activities
An all volunteer group, we are pleased to report on our
accomplishments on behalf of the citizenry of this area. In 2004, we:
- Researched and proposed a review of he Las Cruces City Charter, which is
now in progress (chaired by SNMCC Board member Woodie Jenkins).
- Monitored over 50 local public meetings with our partner, the League of
women Voters, to assure openness and public access to government information.
- Reviewed documents relative to the transfer of MMC to a for-profit
hospital corporation, and made recommendations to the public and public
officials regarding indigent care, use of proceeds and oversight of MMC
- Made recommendations to NMSU Regents regarding closed meetings and public
- Held 12 monthly meetings (open to the public), one annual luncheon,
maintained a website, and produced a brochure about Common Cause.
- Provided six local representatives to the New Mexico State Common Cause
It is anticipated that all the above will be continued over the next year,
along with possible new initiatives relating to public participation in
government, openness, and access to government information.