Southern New Mexico Common Cause
Wednesday, March 16, 2005
· Meeting Location: J.W. Flours Restaurant, Las Cruces, NM 88001
· Members Attending:
Jane Asche, Phil Banks, Mary Ballard, Alex Burr, Mary Ann Digman, Ron Gurley, Dolores Halls, Woodie Jenkins, Mike McCamley and Tamie Smith.
Members Not Attending:
Gus Bigelow, John Bloom, Steve Carter, Lynn Ellins, Rose Garcia, Jim Kadlecek, and Vanessa Quiroz, Vicki Simons and Charles Welch
Visitor(s): Fran Clark (LOWV), Lee Kirchner (Visitor to Address the Board) and Romna Jenkins (Visitor)
1. Call to Order: Phil Banks called the meeting to order at 11:55 AM.
2. Introductions and Agenda Approval/Changes:
The order of the Meeting Agenda was changed to include Lee Kirchner's address under Other Business. This addition was approved by voice vote after it was moved and seconded.
3. Approval of January Meeting Minutes:
The minutes of the SNMCC Board Meeting for February 2005 were approved as amended by voice vote after the approval was moved and seconded
4. Annual Meeting March 31 Jane Asche, Et Al
Jane Asche summarized the purpose of the annual meeting. Handouts were provided to all attendees. The meeting should be a special event with Max Brix and Bill McCamley speaking. Invitations have been sent to other organizations and to the entries of an updated mailing list for the City of Las Cruces. A summary of SNMCC actions will be available at the annual meeting. The SNMCC Logo should be widely known.
A. City Charter Woodie Jenkins
The Charter Committee meets on the third (3) Wednesday of each month at the Benivedez Community Center. Every other Wednesday of each month the Committee meets at the Branigan Library in the downstairs meeting rooms, A and B. Any proposals need to be in writing due to the time frame it takes to digest and understand them. A recording needs to be made of what takes place at each meeting and the City Council needs to be informed of the progress that is being made by the Charter Committee. The Committee will address all ten (10) articles of the charter. Tonight we will address Article 5: --- The Charter is the public voice to City Government ----. One change has been approved: The City Council shall establish a (change and resolution) procedure. Nothing is closed All is open.
B. MMC Issues: Lynn Ellins et al No report. It was stated that a report by Lynn Ellins was distributed (sent) to all via email earlier.
C. County Personnel: Charles Welch No report
D. NMSU Regents John Bloom
See attached (email) report for the regents meeting.
E. School Board (LCPS): Phil Banks No report.
6. Monitoring of Public Meetings (w/LOWV) No Report
7. Website Update: Alex Burr
Alex Burr stated that the SNMCC WEB Page has been moved to common.qzxservices.com. The new WEB page has 198 files, 66 pictures and 1,451 links. The Meeting Observations Section (Monitoring Public Meetings) has to be changed. Any important information should be sent to any SNMCC Board Officer or Alex Burr. Alex Burr needs to come up with 10 items that Common Cause Stands for. Input will be accepted.
8. State Update: Gus Bigelow
Alex Burr stated that Common Cause New Mexico had the main issue of Public Financing for Judicial Elections. They are lobbying the State Legislature concerning this issue.
9. Other Business: Lee Kirchner addressed the Board concerning Annexations and the five (5) year Capital Improvement Plan. Her message was centered on follow where the money goes. The last 5 year plan didnt have much behind current or near term infrastructure needs. Hence nothing much was done. The meeting where City Councilors were to be informed of what was in the 5 year plan was cancelled. Many plan to speak against annexation in Public meetings. Many of the records are missing in spite of the New Mexico requirement to maintain Municipal Records for six (6) years. There is to be a City Wide survey on a Convention Center put out By Mike Johnson for $400,000.
10. Next Meeting: April 20, 2005
11. Adjournment: Phil Banks adjourned the meeting at 1:06 PM
SNMCC Board Secretary