Southern New Mexico Common Cause
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
· Meeting Location: J.W. Flours Restaurant, Las Cruces, NM 88001
· Members Attending: (14)
M Ballard, P Banks, G Bigelow, J Bloom, A Burr, S Carter, L Ellins, R Garcia, D Halls, W Jenkins, JM Kadlecek, M McCamley, T Smith, and C Welch.
Members Not Attending: (5)
J Asche, MA Digman, R Gurley, V Quiroz, and V Simons.
Visitor: Fran Clark, sub for V Simons from the LOWV
1. JM Kadlecek called the meeting to order at 11:53 AM.
2. Added to the Agenda was a report on the New Mexico State Common Cause meeting. The Agenda was then approved by voice vote. [Moved and seconded. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.]
3. One addition to the December minutes was made. The word nominally was added to the last sentence in paragraph 4C. The minutes of the SNMCC Board Meeting for November were then approved. [Moved and seconded. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.]
A. City Charter - (W. Jenkins)
· The City Charter Review Committee held its first meeting last Thursday. Its second meeting will be held tonight.
· A report is required of the Committee NLT 15 June 2005 in order to make the November 2005 Election.
· Citizen input is required for the committee.
· The top ten (10) items from SNMCC City Charter Committee should be submitted as changes. How these changes are worded, the support for them and the potential votes for them are important. Maybe ten (10) is too many. Maybe ten (10) is too few. Maybe all 60 recommendations need to be submitted.
· The Committees proceedings are recorded and available through the Las Cruces City Clerks office.
· P Banks should / might present the recommendations / workings of the previous SNMCC City Charter Review Committee.
· A specifically worded City Charter Change might be submitted at next months SNMCC board meeting.
· Tamie Smith commented that there would be a new City Manager. Las Cruces has contracted with a company out of Colorado to enhance the Quality of Life of Las Cruces residents. The issue of open-space is part of a persons quality of life. She wanted to ask the new City Manager if these sort of things went on in Florida. He, the new City Manager, is knowledgeable in the buying of land and leasing it back to the City to be used a open-space. This item (quality of life) is included in plans or briefings. R Garcia commented that she is familiar with Land Trusts from other states.
· JM Kadlecek sent an email to Silvia Sierra, Director, Health and Human Services, Dona Ana County requesting information. No response.
· F. Clark from the LOWV stated that many Doctors are concerned about MMC sending uninsured patients to them as a (estimated) method to avoid the uninsured. This supports the need for oversight.
· R Garcia stated that she had a call from the Civil Rights folks in Denver, CO. There may have been a complaint from someone who stated that a Civil Rights Violation occurred when they were denied healthcare. The people need a place to go, an Advocate type. The current MMC Advisory Committee is composed of appointed politicians and others who do not provide information or oversight.
· JM Kadlecek will get back to Silvia Sierra, Director, Health and Human Services, Dona Ana County, and then report back to the Board.
C. County Issues - C Welch
Report will be found under paragraph 5, Monitor Meetings.
D. NMSU Regents J Bloom
The Jan 31st meeting of the NMSU Regents will be held in Santa Fe. It will be Las Cruces Day.
E. School Board P Banks
There is a School Board Election to be held on February 1st. Three (3) of the five (5) Board positions are up for election with only one position having more than one candidate. There is also one (1) bond issue up for [Yes or No] election.
5. Monitoring Public Meetings (w/LOWV)
C Welch reported concerning the Dona Ana County Commission meeting.
· There were no complaints about the last meeting. The Open meetings Act was mentioned. J. Williams, the Public Affairs Officer, was mentioned in relation to the budget and operating (OMA) funds.
· C Welch has not written the letter concerning the Commission Meeting facilities (and the new county facilities). The letter will be drafted at later date.
6. Website Update A Burr
7. Annual Meeting Update Mary, Tamie and Jane
SNMCC will hold up on designating a place and a price until a guest speaker is determined. Mar 31st is the target date and LC is the hoped for guest speaker.
8. Officer Selections/Elections for 2005.
It was decided on to vote for the following slate.
Co-Chairs = P Banks and JM Kadlecek
Vice-Chair = L Ellins
Secretary/Treasurer = M McCamley
The slate was offered in the form of a motion. It was moved and seconded. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote after the lack of discussion..
9. Other Business
A Burr reported on the state Common Cause Meeting. (This report was made earlier in the meeting due to personal commitments.)
· We are a sub of the State organization. The NM CC is well known.
· We get money that is basically accounted for by the state organization.
· The state deficit is made up via donations from a member.
· One state Common Cause major issue is to provide money to those running for Judicial Offices. Judicial Office elections are an emphasis of the Governor.
· The Model Government and Ethics in Public Office Program is being looked at for Local Schools.
· Legislature lobbying is not being looked at this year due to the lack of volunteers.
· Run-off elections are on the Legislative Session Agenda.
· It was proposed to hold a gathering where State Legislative members were invited.
· There is no change in the New Mexico State CC Organization Plans or Policies. The Solicitation of funds will be the same.
Fran Clark form the LOWV offered that there was no viable outreach or policy on Common Cause membership. The recruiting of new Common Cause members was weak. There was no place to go to determine the schedule of Common Cause meetings.
10. Next Meeting February 16, 2005
Meetings will continue to be held on the third Wednesday of each month at the J.W. Flours location unless otherwise arranged.
11. Adjournment - JM Kadlecek adjourned the meeting at 1:06 PM
SNMCC Board Secretary
Date Approved and Signed