Southern New Mexico Common Cause
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
· Meeting Location: J.W. Flours Restaurant, Las Cruces, NM 88001
· Members Attending:
Mary Ballard, Steve Carter, Dolores Halls, Woodie Jenkins, Jim Kadlecek, Mike McCamley, Tamie Smith and Charles Welch.
Members Not Attending:
Jane Asche, Phil Banks, Gus Bigelow, John Bloom, Alex Burr, Mary Ann Digman, Lynn Ellins, Rose Garcia, Ron Gurley, Vanessa Quiroz and Vicki Simons.
1. Call to Order: Jim Kadlecek called the meeting to order at 11:45 AM.
2. Introductions and Agenda Approval/Changes:
The order of the Meeting Agenda was followed. Introductions and greetings were exchanged by the Board members in attendance.
3. Approval of March Meeting Minutes:
The minutes of the SNMCC Board Meeting for March 2005 were approved as amended. It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes by voice vote.
4. Report on Annual Meeting A general discussion concerning the Annual Meeting followed. The points addressed during this discussion were as follows:
* There should have been more Media coverage at a meeting with many of areas organizations represented.
* SNMCC should participate in more community activities to become better known.
* SNMCC should host more public meetings (or forums or?) where Open Government types of matters are the main topics or themesa as opposed to current issues.
* Maybe we should have a reason or purpose for such public meetings. These reasons or themes should not address what the outcome should look like (direct the outcomes toward the reason or purpose), but address the nature or kind of outcomes that can be expected (estimated / should be).
A. City Charter Woodie Jenkins
The Charter Review Committee is at a point where a draft report exists. We will (tonight) address Articles 8, 9 and 10 of the existing Charter. It is close to them deadline for the Committee to submit their report.
B. MMC Issues: Lynn Ellins et al No report.
C. County Issues: Charles Welch
1. The County Commission Consent Agenda includes many important items that can be easily overlooked. Some items may be pulled off of that agenda. An example of this was based on citizens banding together and having the power to remove one item from a consent agenda. i.e. A parcel of land that DAC had no use for was on the consent agenda for the approval of a proposed sale. The parcel was withdrawn from the agenda and any approval due to citizen input. A park was built on the land due to the actions of a group of citizens banding together and being alert and assertive.
2. The purpose of the closed meeting concerning the Waste Management Fees was unreliable or confusing.
D. NMSU Regents John Bloom
See attached (email) report for the regents meeting. There has been no response received from the NMSU Regents concerning our letter to them concerning their meetings. The items addressed by the Attorney General, Patrice Madrid, should be addressed at the next meeting. What accutally is accomplished with the points that were addressed by the New Mexico, Attorney General, will be addressed later time.
E. School Board (LCPS): Phil Banks No report. (The Martinez / Ogas issue and the LCPS Board recall issue had not taken place at the time of this SNMCC Board Meeting.)
6. Monitoring of Public Meetings (w/LOWV) No Report
7. Website Update: Alex Burr No Report
8. State Update: The State Board Meeting will be held this Saturday. Jim Kadlecek will attend. Charles Welch is not sure if he will be able to attend.
9. Other Business: Tamie Smith stated that the Downtown Mall project will modify (close or congest) many streets in downtown Las Cruces. Token work is scheduled to begin to show citizens that the project is being (somewhat slowly) accomplished.
10. Next Meeting: May, 2005
11. Adjournment: Jim Kadlecek adjourned the meeting at 12:55 PM
SNMCC Board Secretary